essen.de > Town Hall > Aemter > Ordner 45 9 > Alte Synagoge > Picture Gallery > Historical Pictures

Historical Pictures

Picutes of location

At the time of its completion in 1913, the building was one of the largest freestanding synagogues in Europe. Despite all historical upheavals, the building’s exterior was almost completely preserved. Only the forecourt was torn down after the war, giving way to a broader street.

A selection of pictures shows the building between 1913-2009.

Synagogue Essen, 1915

Pictures of the interior

What was once the magnificent interior of the synagogue, has since undergone extreme changes. Looted during the 1938 pogrom, the traces of the flames remained visible until 1959. In 1961, the building was converted into a museum for industrial design.
A selection of pictures shows the interior between 1913-2009.

View into the main hall from the women's gallery , 1920

Pictures showing specific objects

The synagogue was meticulously designed and artistically ornamented. Some of the objects have been preserved or reconstructed, others demolished or destroyed during the National-Socialist rule. Additional original objects were lost during post-war reconstruction.
This selection of pictures gives the Visitor a general idea of the historical site.

Bronze emblem on the door