The internet facilities of the City of Essen meet the requirements of the Accessible Information Technology Ordinance (BITV):
- Texts are checked for general comprehensibility when they are produced.
- Technical terms and abbreviations are only used where absolutely necessary, and are explained.
- The texts on essen.de are scaleable.
- for images, there are alternative texts available if these cannot be perceived visually.
- The navigation is clearly structured, and has a uniform design throughout the internet facilities.
- The page contents can be accessed separately from the layout of the page
- The presentation of the internet facilities is largely independent of the device used (e.g. using a mobile telephone or an old browser version).
- Software expansions are not needed to access content.
The editing of essen.de furthermore makes an effort to optimise the facilities.